Please read this important notice before entering our Born to Perform competition
Our venue (Redcliffe Entertainment Centre - Downs Street, Redcliffe) is a council owned theatre and as such, strictly adheres to the health regulations in place for Covid.
There is a limited number of competitors allowed in each dressing room so our entry numbers will be limited.
When we reach our quota of competitors, we will close the entry online so it is important to have your entries in early. Group entries must include the number of competitors in each group. We do not require names in this instance. They can be provided closer to the performance date, but we will not be able to accept entries for groups that do not include the number of competitors. When you enter your groups, just folllow the prompt is will ask you for the number of competitors for each group that you have entered.
As our venue is a commercial theatre all patrons, including competitors 16 years and over must present proof of vaccination or exemption from vaccination before entering the premises. This rule may change before our event commences and we will have to abide by the current ruling at the time of our performances. We shall notify competitors of any changes to this rule as soon as it comes to hand.
Where possible, each age group will be on the same day to assist in the monitoring of dressing rooms.
We hope that this year we will be able on the same day to assist in the monitoring of dressing rooms.
We hope that this year we will be able to complete our competition and look forward to welcoming you to our venue.
Please if you have questions, feel free to contact myself or Sharon:
Sharon (07) 38831471 Gayle 0438 797 468 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards and Prizes
Prizes: Trophies, Medals, Ribbons, Cash
Teachers Aggregate: Comdance members only. Teachers will be eligible for Teachers Aggregate Award. All entries by the teacher receive 1 bonus point, solos, duos etc. providing that the entry has the teacher's financial membership number displayed. 1st place receives 8 points, 2nd place receives 5 points, 3rd place receives 3 points, 4th place receives 2 points, and an honourable mention receives 1 point.
Group Teachers Aggregate Award - Prize Cash This section will be open to all studios. Each 1st place receives 8 points, 2nd place receives 5 points, 3rd place receives 3 points, and an honourable mention receives 1 point.
Age Aggregate: Teachers, Parents & Competitors please note that there is no charge for age aggregate sections and all competitors who meet the relevant requirements will automatically be entered. The requirements are as follows:
In Solos: Best 3 performances in their age section for 6 years, 7 years & 8 years Best 4 performances in their age section for all other age groups
Age Aggregate applies only to the actual age section (i.e. If a competitor enters into a section 10 years and under, their points will not go into the age aggregate calculations unless this is their age groups)
- Competitors enter at their own risk. The committee accepts NO responsibility for any accidents or injury to any persons associated with the festival, either as a Competitor, Volunteer or a member of the General Public, at any time.
- Age of competitor will be taken as at 1st January in the current year. Winners may be asked to produce birth certificate before receiving trophies.
- The Festival is only open to amateur dancers.
- The committee reserves the right to alter, amend, cancel or refuse any entry at any time or to cancel, combine or separate sections should the necessity arise.
- Entry fees are non refundable under any circumstances.
- The committee will not be held responsible for any infringement of copyright or royalty by individual performers or persons associated with the performance.
- The committee shall have full control of the program at all times.
- No harmful agents eg. fire, water, smoke, etc will be permitted on the stage.
- Competitors who do not appear when number is called may perform at the end of the section, but may or may not receive adjudication depending on circumstances.
- Competitors whose names are omitted from the program for any reason will be required to appear at the end of the section, in numerical order.
- No Competitor may appear more than once in any solo Section of that genre.
- The same dance must not be repeated during the festival by the same competitor.
- Competitors may only appear in their own age group in solo sections.
- Names of group members will need to be emailed to the registrar to be valid. The age of the group is governed by the eldest member.
- A group is 5 competitors and over. Studios may have a maximum of 2 entries in any group section.
- Competitors in duo/trio/quad may partner an older or younger competitor. The age of the eldest competitor determines the section in which they appear. A competitor may appear twice in a section with a different partner.
- No qualified teacher will be allowed to perform in any dance routine excluding Mature and Motivated section.
- The Committee shall decide on any matter not covered by these rules and its decision on any question or dispute shall be final.
- No unsportsman like behaviour will be tolerated. Those showing bad sportsmanship will be asked to leave with no refund due.
- No prompting backstage allowed.
- All members of Tap sections must wear tap shoes.
- Competitors must perform the work of a school whose name appears on the entry form and must have been receiving tuition from the present teacher he or she is entered under for at least a period of 3 months prior to commencement of these competitions.
- Time limits will be rigidly enforced; entrants who exceed time limits will receive a 5 point deduction from their score. The time of the item will be taken from the commencement of music or from first movement of body, legs or arms until the competitor leaves the stage or the fall of the curtain.
- ONLY COMPETITORS AND TEACHERS are permitted backstage on group days. One parent or teacher per student is permitted backstage during all other days.
- If a competitor commences an item and stops they may appear again at the end of the section if time permits, however they will not be eligible for first placing.
- Music with tap sounds, not permitted in any tap dance (including groups).
- Acrobatic tricks can be performed in a non-acrobatic routine. However, it will be at the adjudicator's discretion if these are deemed necessary.
- Props to the backstage area only prior to the session they are required and then they should be removed on the completion of that session immediately.
- Please check all props for screws or nails so as to not scratch the stage.
- No white soled shoes permitted on stage.
Description of genres for Comdance Competition Solos
CLASSICAL: pure classical ballet technique without a story and using classical or lyrical music. No Répertoire.
DEMI-CHARACTER: must tell a story incorporating steps and mimed gestures. Can include a prop, hand-held or placed on the stage. A variety of music can be used with variations in tempo. Classical or Semi-Classical music to be used with no lyrics.
NATIONAL: The dance from a particular country. Must be authentic and show the costuming, music, style and characteristics of that country's dances. Highland, Sailor's Hornpipe and Irish dances excluded.
LYRICAL: Modern flowing movements based on Classical technique. Music normally has lyrics and the dance should show a connection with the music.
CONTEMPORARY: A more individualistic and expressive style which is not bound by rigid technique, and showing free fall and spirit. The Jason Winters Contemporary syllabus is a guideline.
UP TEMPO MODERN JAZZ: An energetic rhythmic and stylish dance form. The Jazz exam dances of the Comdance Modern Jazz Syllabus are a guideline.
TAP: Any style of Tap - Theatrical, Street or Funk.
ACROBATIC DANCE: This section must contain 'Acrobatic' tricks (and/or contortion work) following the guidelines of the Comdance theatrical Syllabus, which includes a dance element of equal strength.
SONG & DANCE: Singing and Dancing permitted Any choice of song may be used. No voice over or miming to be used.
MUSICAL THEATRE: An item from a musical to include acting/dialogue, choreographed movement and dance (at least 2 styles of dance) & live singing. Song & Dance items are not to be included in this section.
Reports need to be collected from the admin desk after presentations. Reports will only be given to the competitor, their parent or teacher after the following 2 sections.
Adjudication and protests
- The adjudicator's decision is final. The Committee reserves the right to appoint a substitute adjudicator if deemed necessary.
- Protest against any competitor must be put in writing by the principal teacher to the "Protest Committee" within 1 hour after completion of a section with a fee of $20. If in the opinion of the "Protest Committee" a protest is deemed frivolous, the deposit is forfeited.
Front of house stage curtain can only be used in GROUP sections.
Dressing Room Areas
Each studio will be allocated dressing room space. Please check room allocation at admin desk. Teachers are responsible for noise levels in dressing area. This area is to be kept clean and tidy at all times. Please take all rubbish and water bottles on leaving your dressing area...rubbish bins are supplied. There will be a $25 cleaning fee charged to any studio that leaves their room in an unacceptable state.
- Mobile phones must be turned off in the auditorium, not just turned to silent.
- Due to copyright, the recording of any performances is prohibited within the theatre (this includes mobile phone cameras).
- Forbidden use of recording devices of any kind will result in confiscation.
- Etiquette must be maintained throughout sections.
- No children are allowed unaccompanied in the front 2 rows of the theatre.
- Sportsman like behaviour is to be maintained throughout the competitions.
- No one shall be permitted to enter or leave the auditorium during a performance
- We will have a professional company taking DVDs of the performances. Items will only be recorded if ordered and paid for before the session commences. More information will be available closer to the competitions.
- All persons accept that by participating in this festival, they may be photographed or filmed and that these images may be used by the Association nationally for promotion of the society. Association will not pass on any images onto third parties unless prior approval is sought.
As in previous years we are always encouraging sponsorship, therefore if you know of an individual or company we could approach please contact the committee.
The Competitor enters into the Dancing Competition at the competitor’s own risk and will satisfy her/himself as to the safety of the competition area and surface to be used by the competitor.
The Competitor will follow all directions and set rules stated by the competition organizer or the persons authorized by them and waives any claims for liability against any organizer, (whether an Association or Individual), participant, official, steward, judge, visitor, employee, or invitee (the “participants”) and releases the participants from all liability that may arise out of the competition, to the competitor. Such liability shall include any personal injury, property loss or damage.
The Competitor or the Parent/Guardian or Teacher warrants that they have read and understood these rules and have agreed to them by entering the competition of their own free will. If they are not satisfied in any way with the rules or the standard of the competition area or any of the facilities, then they are not obliged to compete.